About Wide Open Spaces – Open Office Plan Ergonomics
The current trend toward Open Office Floorplans is actually not so new. Characterized as a necessary, innovative and competitive advantage that inspires workforce collaboration, there may be another side to consider. Research is now showing the collaborative benefits from open office design are too often offset by numerous work distractions and possibly even some legitimate health concerns. It’s good policy to stay informed of every side of this topic.
This webinar will be beneficial to:
- EHS professionals who work in office ergonomics, such as CSP’s, Ergonomists, Safety Committee Members, Industrial Hygienists, Industrial Engineers, Safety Engineers and appropriate EHS student populations.
- Healthcare practitioners who work in office ergonomics and are called on to address workplace ergonomic situations, such as PT’s, OT’s, LPTA’s, COTA’s, CHT’s, RN’s, ATC’s, NP’s, DC’s, MD’s, PA’s, and appropriate healthcare student populations.
- HR professionals who work in office ergonomics will benefit from this webinar by building familiarity with common situations posed by open office plans, including SPHR’s, PHR’s, Claims Managers, HR Managers, Wellness Coordinators, MPH and CHES designees and appropriate HR student populations.
EHS, healthcare and HR attendees of this webinar will better understand and appreciate:
- The implied benefits of Open Office Design including costs, communication, engagement and supervision.
- The perceived detriments of Open Office Design including workforce health, stress, privacy and creativity.
- The livable compromises of Open Office Design including collaborative areas, conference rooms, libraries and quiet task spaces for intensive and creative work.
Our presenter is Matt Jeffs DPT PSM CEAS -
Dr. Jeffs is a safety management advisor for national and international firms, and a seasoned ergonomics educator here at The Back School. Years ago, he worked as a draftsman in an open office plan prior to earning both his undergraduate and doctorate degrees in physical therapy.
Dr. Jeffs will apply his unique, long-term perspective to this recent trend, offering some insight on how to make it work for the most people possible. We hope you will join us for this interesting and engaging topic. If you’re working in - or contemplating building - an Open Office Plan, you won’t want to miss it.
Matt Jeffs, PT, DPT, CEAS II
Matt Jeffs, DPT, CHC, CEAS is an onsite preventive care specialist and a certified rehab ergonomist. He holds two professional clinical degrees in physical therapy (Bachelors of Health Science in Physical Therapy, from the University of Florida in Gainesville, FL and his Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Chatham University in Pittsburgh, PA) and is licensed in Florida and North Carolina.
Dr. Jeffs has over 25 years of clinical and management experience and has directly overseen the successful rehabilitation of over 20,000 individuals in the clinical setting. As a Lean Practitioner equipped with over 12,000 hours of direct onsite experience serving clients in corporate and industrial settings, he applies continuous improvement methodology to all onsite projects and processes.
Dr. Jeffs holds a leadership role in the First Coast Manufacturers Association as its Workforce Education Director and Consultant to FCMA’s Board of Directors. FCMA is an industrial trade group consortium of some 300 manufacturers and companies in North Florida.
As an onsite consultant, he has led workforce education initiatives, ergonomic analyses, job demand analyses, defined job demand descriptions, legally-defensible job demand capacity evaluations, pre-work and fit-for-work screenings, transitional return-to-work strategies, early intervention onsite first-aid, onsite rehabilitation, and communications in public speaking, audio and video formats.
As a successful clinical business owner, Dr. Jeffs led an award-winning outpatient center where he directed strategic planning, resource allocation, production methods and information audit analyses.
He combines seasoned skills in public speaking, broadcasting and leadership with award-winning clinical excellence in sports, orthopedics and industrial medicine. This skill-set allows him to provide successful, verifiable work-injury reduction and cost containment strategies to corporate clientele.
Corporate leaders and academic colleagues seek out Dr. Jeffs for sound advisement and reliable solutions to the evolving patterns of a fluid, dynamic workplace. He is regularly sought to address colleges, universities, professional associations, trade groups and executive summits to convey his philosophy and applications for successful work-injury prevention, cost-containment and workforce optimization.